Thursday, January 27, 2011

Things I take for Granted

This is a list of things that Latin America makes me miss. These notes are Bolivia-specific, but I have seen this stuff elsewhere, feel free to add your own comments.

*Even sidewalks. Seriously, you need All-Terrain shoes to get around here. In one block, the path with go from dirt, to concrete, to gravel, to cobblestones, and back to concrete.

*Trash Collection. I don't mean that a service needs to come to your house to collect trash, we don't have that in Homer. I just mean "collection", as in gather in a specific area, rather than just strewn around everywhere.

*Good Coffee. Oh, Nescafe, how I hate you.

*Bus Stops. Though hurtling yourself into the street and madly waving your arms when you see the bus you want is fun, I now really appreciate the advantages of scheduled stops.

*Ashtrays. Local motto: "Why use one when the floor's right there?"

*Change for $10 (or equivalent) at businesses.  If you run a store, or a restaurant and only do transactions in cash, it stands to reason that if I make a 18B purchase and only have a 50B bill ($1US=7B), you should be able to give me change. But, I am always wrong about this. And, I always get a look as if I, the customer, have just thrown raw eggs on the front door when I ask for change.

*Hair gel's place in the 80s. I can't say I exactly miss the facial hair of Homer, but I would like to see a guy without half a tub of LA Looks in his hair.

*No marketing via megaphone. The Blues Brothers proved this is effective, but it's really annoying when a guy pushes a cart down the street every morning screaming about fruit through a blown-out drive-thru speaker.

 Post ethno-centric rant, I will clear my conscience by saying that there is a little flower here that I don't know the name of, but the smell is heaven. I would trade the privilege of wearing flip flops everyday combined with that smell for a lot of comforts and conveniences.

No comments: