Sunday, January 09, 2011

"Palm to Palm is Holy Palmer's Kiss" -Shakespeare

Central Andes/ Argentine Sierras:
Mendoza-Punta del Inca-Uspallata-Valle de Calingasta-San José de Jáchal-Rodeo-San Augustín de Valle Fértil-San Juan

I have hiked into the Grand Canyon, I have been wowed by Capitol Reef, Bryce, Arches and the dry spots in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona. I have stood on a precipice at Zion and might still swear it was the most spectacular vantage point in the world.  I have seen the so-called “Big Sky” that is immortalized by A.B. Guthrie. 




Australia’s Uluru and Olgas are amazing, as are the hundreds of miles of surrounding desert and rock formations through which I have fought flies and chased camels.



In the last week, I have driven thousands of kilometers through Central Argentina. The terrain changes every 50 kilometers. Every color of the rainbow paints the scenery. A Cineplex worth of popcorn clouds fill the sky as far as I can see; the carpet is red and white sand, as soft and fine as silk. And the rocks…  rocks, rocks, rocks… mountains of them, piles of them, weird balancing acts of them. So much vast landscape you know that only God has touched each and every piece.  This desert makes the American Southwest and the Australian Outback look like the places that God practiced on while he was getting ready to make Argentina.

 










I have a confession to make. Ever since reading Into Thin Air I have judged climbers fairly critically. I have mostly viewed the activity as self-serving and foolish. This week, I changed my mind. I found a desire to reach out and be a part of this beautiful landscape. I realized that every time you touch a far-flung stone, out-of-reach of anyone else, it is being palm to palm with the Creator. 

No comments: