Monday, January 10, 2011

Cultural Decorum

At our final stop, in the Mendocino winery-laden village of Maipu, Susy and I somehow got our hands on an educational reference book: Argentinian Customs and Culture.
One piece of advice that someone bothered to type up and print in this book is: 'It is rude for a foreignor to criticize Argentinian government or politics. Let Argentinians talk about their own government problems, do not offer your opinion.'
We laughed. Duh. Of course that is rude. Everyone knows you shouldn't discuss politics or religion with strangers, but then I paused...
It seems that everywhere I have ever traveled, people have offered their opinion on American politics as soon as they hear my accent. For the past two years I have been fielding non-stop inquiries on Sarah Palin. Can someone please put in a book that this taboo also applies to Americans?
Currently, I am skating by on the fact that a lot of people don't know that Alaska is part of the USA, or whether Alaskans speak English or German (the only thing I have demonstrated with any competency is that Alaskans probably don't speak Spanish).

No comments: