Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day 9: Roan Mountain, TN. 393 miles from Springer Mountain


Guess what the temperature is in the south in September? About the same as the South most of the time: hot with a side of humid. The locals keep threatening it will cool down, but probably not enough to make walking uphill with a pack less than sweltering.
Tennessee is chuck full of black bears and also chuck full of people and vacationers that see no reason to keep their food and trash far from the Bears. Generally, people don't want to be around hungry bears. But, if you continually feed animals, they will hang around-- look at dogs. Much of the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee struggles with so called "problem" bears and there are warnings and closures to hikers.
Since being in Tennessee, I have been convinced to buy "southern" hiking socks, crossed paths with a 5-foot black racer snake, stayed in the world's grossest hostel with 14 resident cats, and been bit in the leg by a tiny dog.
The only thing keeping me in this is my talent for cheating at long-distance exercise. With a few map reading skills, I am able to shave off a mile here or there while my partner diligently walks each and every step of the trail even faster than I can skip parts.
Forrest is carrying the majority of the load and spurring us onward to victory (or at least completion), and I am ready to move onward, at least to another state.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. I can't believe the Spam did not sell out. That's the first thing I look for in a vending machine.