Thursday, September 01, 2011

Proving Cartoons Wrong

I learned from Animaniacs that "It's a great big world, and we're all really puny." Animaniacs was a very intelligent show. So, imagine my surprise when I'm sitting at the Salty Dawg Saloon the other night with a friend, and I vaguely recognize someone at the end of the bar. Vaguely.
Can't really place him, so I ask my friend if he's local. She says she doesn't know, but, at that moment, he looks down the bar, meets my eye, walks over, and says: "I'm Eli. We met in Bolivia." I immediately remembered hanging out with him at Sustainable Bolivia and saying goodbye to him in Oruro after Carnaval... he was headed off on a year-long South American adventure or something.
But apparently not. Apparently he got a job guiding for a bike tour company in Alaska and has been around the state all summer. It was his last night in Alaska, and he stopped in the Salty Dawg to buy a souvenir. He asked me what I was doing there and I said, "I live here!" and he confessed to remembering that I was a bush pilot somewhere in Alaska, but he never knew where.
Weird, right? But wait, don't buy it yet. I found and "friended" him on Facebook so I could share this photo of our weird coincidence. Facebook, which knows way more about us than we know about ourselves, informed us that we have a mutual friend, in the Netherlands, who he met in Boston and I most recently traveled with in Argentina.
Next time I run into Yakko, Wakko and Dot in a bar, I'm going to tell them that the world is itsy bitsy, and if you can walk down the street without running into a friend, you're doing something wrong.

No comments: