Thursday, July 12, 2007

When landing on the beach, look out for dead whales


Wes' brother, William, procured a Cessna 172 and flew us to the Washington coast. At a Copalis State Park (S16), you can land right on the beach, ala Austrlia's Frasier Island. Thinking we were pretty cool, we hopped out of the plane for a stroll in the sand. I decided to go balance on a log, like I was in a Land's End catalog. I got close and thought, 'that's a ripe smelling log,' as Wes and William warned, half-jokingly, "That's a dead whale." But what I thought was a broken branch was a rotting flipper. The flies were having a feast and Green Peace was nowhere in sight.

We flew back to Seattle, disappointed that the fly-in fish and chips restaurant had been closed. But truly, I had already had my fill of sea creatures for the day.

No comments: