Friday, January 13, 2006

What's my story?

I'm charmed you should ask, really.

It's basically this: I want to learn Spanish. It has been pointed out to me (none too subtly) that there might be easier ways than going to Mexico for an extended period of time. I disagree. I will be leaving Sunday for Ixtapa/Zihautanejo (yes, that's the town Andy Dufresne goes to at the end of Shawshank). The plan for my immersion program is as follows:

Duration:This trip was supposed to begin in October, but unforeseen delays popped up (most of them involving small planes). I don't think I can lengthen my stay accordingly, so I will have to make my language immersion program work by Spring.

Job: I'll be doing "PR" for a restaurateur in Ixtapa. My only qualifications are that I speak English and German, and the German's not required. A good portion of my negotiated pay is in food.

Home: I supposedly have an apartment. Some friend of a stranger is going to get me at the airport and take me there. Last time I rented a place site-unseen, it included a 40-year-old German flatmate with a comb-over whose favorite outfit was boxers and knee-high socks. Last time I looked at a place before moving in, there was a race riot on the doorstep. So, I don't have the best track record for renting abroad... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Language: I have been studying, and I know most of my numbers and colors in Spanish. If the majority of conversations begin with "What is your favorite episode of Sesame Street?", I'll be fine.

If you're in Minneapolis, I believe Liquor Lyles has 2-4-1s yet again this evening. The smokin' and jokin' will begin when you get there... except the smokin', 'cause you can't do that in Minneapolis.

Now you know all my planning secrets. As you can see, they're not very impressive, they may get me killed, and they don't currently include a surfboard. Hopefully, the triumphant email I send in a few weeks will make you feel bad for doubting me.

Love,
Steph

No comments: