Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Hindsight is 20/20



I rang in 2011 with a good friend and good food in a new country: Argentina. One thing this friend taught me was to go through your pictures at the end of the year and choose 10-12 that capture the highlights. It's a bit of time travel that serves a really good reminder of how far a year can take us. I rang in 2012 a lot closer to home and with a lot more friends. I miss the adventures of travel, but relish the days of home and friends and snow. Here's what some of my last year looked like.
I made some bold resolutions for 2012: 1) get 15% better at love; 2) write a letter to someone each week; 3) buy a small plane.  I don't have the best track record on resolutions, but anything worth trying is worth trying...  Happy New Year!
Playing with rocks in the deserts of Argentina
Moved to Cochabamba, Bolivia, where I built schools, learned Spanish, and lived with a host family that I miss dailly
Celebrated Carnaval in Oruro, Bolivia



Got in WAY too many interesting situations involving buses
Visited Salaar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flats, with the friends I made at Sustainable Bolivia
Steller Air Service expanded to two airplanes and added another pilot and a staff and a whiskey bar
Basically ran a hostel at "the campus" where I live. Taylor and Alice lived here for the summer, and myriad friends visited, which made every single moment of summer busy, fun, ridiculous, and memorable.
4th of july in Spicer, MN... need I say more?
Learning to hunt wih the Fonkert brothers, Cody & Jedd: a week of perfect Alaska nature after a spin-cycle summer

Killed a caribou hunting on the Alaska Peninsula... not bad for 2nd try ever

Aubrey & Elyse.. my new nieces: the prettiest chicititas in the world


Settling in for a season of winter sports in Alaska: starting with the Wilderness Women's Competition in Talkeetna





No comments: