Monday, March 22, 2004

A Haircut Story

by Randall Tate

I got my hair cut......in Cambodia.......by a transexual........for $1.

I think it just became the highlight of my 25 year haircutting career.

I am pretty sure it was his/her first time. I had to walk him/her through it.
I gave him/her some tips. So now he/she has a few more tricks up her
skirt....errrrrrr sleeve. By the end I was both physically and mentally
exhausted. After 45 minutes of watching his/her every move, I was pretty sure
he/she owed me money.

Halfway through, the clippers stopped working. He/she investigated and found
out that the whole socket had stopped working. Did I mention this is Cambodia?
I was surprised he/she had clippers in the first place. No problem...he/she
just went to work with her dull scissors for the next 30 minutes. I was
actually relieved because he/she was digging in so hard with the clippers that
my neck was starting to bleed.

I guess you could compare him/her to Michealangelo painting the Sistine Chapel.
Except, unlike me, he/she probably knows how to spell Sistine. She/he went at
his/her work with a passion and fearcity that would go unmatched in the western
world. Her/his attention to detail was amazing. There were a few times where I
was pretty sure he/she didn't even cut a single hair. Absolutely spellbounding.
Every five minutes the other people in the "hair salon" would come in and marvel
at his/her work. I actually couldn't believe he/she pulled it off.

Did I mention he/she didn't speak a word of English except for thank you and
beautiful? I'm beautiful...now.

At the end I got a powder, a first for me. I think I'll go back for a massage.
Did I mention he/she does massages? Among other things...

Í should probably stop this bleeding.

No comments: